If viewed from the type of performance and participation, dance can be divided into:
• Participatory dance, is dance that rarely describes a story and is only intended for social interaction or sports. This type of dance rule is usually related to prohibitions on both gender and certain ages. This type of dance can be in the form of folk dance, group, social, and in pairs.
• Theater dance, is a dance that describes a story and is performed and equipped with special properties. The main purpose of this dance is as entertainment. This type of dance includes ballet, Japanese dance, modern dance, and others.
Based on the choreography, dance can be divided into:
• Single dance, is a dance performed by a dancer or also known as solo dance. For example, Golek dance from Central Java.
• Paired dance, in Latin known as pas de duex or in cloud language is called a duet. This dance is performed by two people or in pairs. For example, Mask dance from West Java.
• Group dance, in a foreign language called the choreography group, which is a dance performed by at least two people. For example, the Saman dance from Aceh.
The type of dance if viewed based on the development of civilization in the archipelago can be divided into three, including:
1. Traditional dance
Traditional dance is a type of dance that has been passed down for generations, inherited from the time of the ancestors. This type of dance emphasizes philosophical, symbolic and religious values. All the rules of this dance are still rigid based on ancestral guidelines. In Indonesia, this traditional dance is divided into two, namely:
a. Classical traditional dance
This dance is also known as the palace dance because it developed among kingdoms and nationalities. This dance show tends to wear fancy clothing and graceful movements. This dance has standard rules and is maintained from generation to generation. Example: Kelana Mask Dance from West Java.
b. Popular traditional dance
This dance developed among ordinary people, both in rural and urban areas. This dance is often displayed in simple clothes and musical accompaniment. In addition, this dance does not have a standard rule so the dance forms tend to vary. This dance is usually displayed during celebrations as social dance. For example Lili dance from West Sumatra.
2. New Creative Dance
This dance is a widening of the wings of traditional dance whose movements are combined with new movements from other types of dance. This type of dance is usually performed during ritual, religious, customary and other ceremonies. In general, this new creation dance is divided into two groups, namely:
a. New creative dance patterned in tradition
This new creative dance is guided by the rules of dance, both in terms of music, makeup, choreography, and staging techniques.
b. New creative dance with a non-traditional pattern
This new type of dance creation is not bound by dance rules like traditional dance patterns. However, that does not mean this type of dance does not use traditional patterns at all. Instead, the use of dance rules will be adjusted to the concept of dance ideas that will be displayed.
3. Contemporary dance
Contemporary dance is a type of modern dance that is no longer influenced by traditional dance elements. This dance features unique and meaningful choreography. In addition, the accompaniment of the music is not a simple song that is commonly used but uses a computer music program and the mini-era. Unrealistic, connoisseurs who want to enjoy this type of art must be knowledgeable.